Sunday 17 July 2011

Last year I spent an amazing two weeks as a mzungu in Kenya.  From Nairobi I travelled 200 km north to Nanyuki, a small town near Mount Kenya.

I spent a great deal of time at CEDC (Children under Especially Difficult Circumstances).  The children here are some of the friendliest I have ever met.  They range from 5 to 19 years, 57 in total.  Most of the children at the centre are orphans and have been living on the streets.  At the Centre they have three meals a day and share dormitories and wash rooms.  Education is very important here as they believe the studying will result in a better life.

As I am a karate Instructor I had a go at teaching the children.  They were very keen and attentive.  They would clear a space in the class room and sweep the floor.  Sometimes we would be watched by a passing sheep poking its head into the doorway!

No comments:

Post a Comment