Tuesday 19 July 2011

Meet 'Little Rose'

When I first met Rose she was outside her home - a wooden shack with no furniture, running water...well nothing really.  Her great-grandma, 86 years, was washing clothes using a bucket of water - she was pleased it had rained the previous night.

They needed to be re-housed quite urgently.  They were having problems with jiggers' (fleas that infect feet) and had no running water.

I was very keen to find a home for Rose before I left.  This came about and on Wednesday I went to help them move.  I wanted to enter their curent home, which they wouldn't let me before in case I got 'jiggers' but I was insistent this time.

So after being sprayed with insect repellent, I went inside and encountered a camel's leg!  They had been given it for food but nevertheless I wasn't keen!

While loading up the car with their possessions I'm afraid I refused to let them take the camel's leg in the car.  I just couldn't imagine it across my legs.  I promised to buy dinner instead.


The money raised paid for Rose and her grandma to move into a better home.  We bought a bed, chairs, table, stove...and the rent includes running water.

I went to visit Rose one last time before I left for the UK.  I bought her a new dress, shoes, writing materials and sweets.  She didn't stop smiling - which was wonderful...

1 comment:

  1. And Rose will be smiling lots more during the second half of August!

    ReplyDelete